The issue of obesity in our world today has become very alarming and it’s something many families are struggling with. Parents should do their best in ensuring their children adopt the best health and lifestyles possible.
Our beloved prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: “A human being fills no worse vessel than his stomach.”(Sunan Ibn Majah, English reference: Vol. 4, Book 29, Hadith 3349)
Our Prophet (peace be upon him) also said: “There are two blessings which many people lose; they are health and free time for doing good.” (Sahih al-Bukhari 6412)
It is not a luxury to be in a good state of health. Our religion emphasizes that we maintain good health as it affects our total wellbeing personally, professionally, socially, and spiritually. We are able to fulfill our worship to Allah (SwT), succeed in the aspirations of our dunya, and look after our families all because of our good health.
Although ill-health can be a test from Allah (SwT), however, our habits and behaviors can play a major role in the prevention of health issues. People’s health behavior starts from childhood. Parents will want nothing more than helping and seeing their kids grow into strong, pious and healthy Muslims.
Here are some simple tips parents can easily incorporate in the lives of their children so they can have an active life:
- You can get active toys for your kids, like balls, jumping ropes, etc. Children can play with in groups or even alone.
- In this technological world today, children have moved away from traditional board games and outdoor playing to computer games, smartphones, and laptops. These electronic devices could have many benefits, but they are also damaging the social development of a child, as well as their physical eyesight. So parents should limit the time for electronics. You can also get them a game that requires them to be on their feet.
- Parents should also go out with their children as family, especially to some facilities that offer a range of physical activity like swimming, archery, horse riding, etc.
- You should encourage your kids to eat good foods such as vegetables and fruits and prevent them from eating a lot of junk food.
- Many children grow up with constant lifts in the cars of their parents and the use of public transport. You should promote walking from a young age, walking is the simplest form of exercise for your child.
- You should lead by example, you should also eat fruits and vegetables, get involved in sports as you tell them to do.