You have probably walked into a store and wondered if what you are buying is halal. It is actually good that you are conscious of what you eat because a lot of what we buy from supermarkets and food stores contain one or more haram ingredients. Perhaps it is time you cooked your own food. This article contains amazing recipes that will leave you yearning for more, and they are absolutely halal!
#1. Easy Bulgur & Vegetable Salad
About the recipe: Light yet full of texture, this salad is a healthy addition to any summertime meal, especially for Summer Ramadan Iftar.
1. 1 cup bulgur wheat (small grain)
2. 2 cups Romain lettuce, finely chopped
3. 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
4. 1 cup Persian cucumbers, cut in half and thin
5. 2-4 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
6. 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
7. Sea salt, to taste
8. 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
• Soak the bulgur in water to cover. It should plump up in a few minutes.
• When it has doubled in size, squeeze out all of the water by the handful and place the bulgur in a serving bowl.
• Add the tomatoes, cucumbers and parsley.
• Drizzle with olive oil, add the salt and lemon juice. Stir and serve.
Note: If preparing this salad ahead of a party or gathering, prepare everything but don’t add the oil, salt and lemon juice until just before serving, otherwise the salad can become soggy. Keep chilled until serving.
#2. Spicy & Sweet Tropical Snack Mix with Saffron Road’s Bombay Spice Crunchy Chickpea
Description: Take snack time up a notch with this mix that is full of flavors and too quick and easy not to make!
1. 1 bag Saffron Road Bombay Spice Crunch Chickpeas
2. 1/2 cup dried mango
3. 1/2 cup dried green mango (optional)
4. 1/2 cup dried pineapple
5. 1/2 cup dried banana
6. 1/2 cup coconut flakes
7. 1/2 cup salted peanuts
• In one large bowl, mix all ingredients.
• Start with the dried fruit and top with the Bombay Spice Chickpeas then gently fold in to the rest of the ingredients.
• Mix and serve in one large bowl or individual bowls for easy snacking.
• Store in a sealed bag or glass container for up to two weeks.
#3. Potato Nachos
1. 3 large or 6 mini tortillas cut in small triangles
2. Lay onto oven tray and bake on 150 until crispy
• Sauté sliced onion in a pot, then add grated tomato and 1 sachet tomato paste. Season with salt, black pepper, garlic flakes, sugar and origanum. Let cook until thickened.
• Cut potatoes into cubes and boil until soft but not mushy. Shallow fry in a pan until golden and season with Robertson’s Aromatic roast potato spice.
• Mix 1 tablespoon plain yoghurt and 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, season with salt, pepper and sugar.
• Layer tortilla chips in a dish, spread over the potatoes, tomato chutney and grated cheese. Add chopped cherry tomatoes and chopped parsley. Season with coarse black pepper and drizzle the dressing on top. Bake for 5-10 minutes until cheese melts.
#4. Nut-Filled Dates with Melted Chocolate
1. 20 large Natural Delights Medjool dates
2. 1 small bag Awesome raw almonds
3. 1 small bag Awesome pistachios, chopped
4. 1 Dark Chocolate Almond Godiva bar, 72% cacao (225 grams), melted
• Wash and dry the dates and remove any pits, but do not break the dates apart. Stuff each date with just one almond.
• On a serving platter, arrange the stuffed dates.
• In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the entire bar of chocolate, stirring continuously to prevent burning.
• Once the chocolate is completely melted, immediately drizzle over the dates then add a few chopped pistachios to the top. Serve immediately.
Note: If make-ahead preparation is necessary, stuff the dates and keep refrigerated. When ready to make and serve, remove the dates and bring to room temperature. Melt the chocolate and finish the recipe as instructed.
#5. Creamy Jalapeno Pasta
1. Boiled pasta
2. 1 punnet Sliced mushrooms
3. 1 punnet Chopped cherry tomatoes
4. 1⁄2 Chopped onion
5. 2-3 Finely sliced jalapeno peppers (depending on heat)
6. 1 Grated carrot
7. Chopped red, yellow and green peppers
• Season vegetables and stir fry with: Salt, Aromat, Garlic flakes, Black pepper, Lemon pepper, Mixed herbs and Paprika
• Lastly mix in 1⁄2 fresh cream and 1 tablespoon mayonnaise. Toss into boiled pasta and garnish with chopped parsley.
So there you have it, 5 halal recipes that are easy to cook and amazingly tasty. So give a shot and let us know what you think. Thank you.