Marriage is a necessity for every matured and able human being. It delivers/ bears many good outcomes of which the most important ones are:
As the prophet(S.A.W)said: If a woman performs salah five time daily, fasts during Ramadan, obey her husband and preserves her chastity, she will be told, “Enter Paradise through those gates that you want!” The satisfaction and the happiness of her husband is one the main endeavor of a woman. Therefore, this is the most discussed topic among Muslim women.
Today we will evaluate some duties from the moment a girl gets married-compliance to her husband became her first responsibility. A woman should not complain about her husband to her parents and stand behind the doors of their marriage issues. Except in those cases where the husband makes his wife do something contrary to Sharia (for example: prohibits fasting in Ramadan or wearing the hijab). The prophet (S.A.W) said: “The prayer of two people hardly rise above their heads, it is a runaway slave and a disobedient wife”.
- The wife should at all times be ready to encounter/meet the needs of her husband, except in cases where it is not permitted in Sharia. At other times, she has no right to refuse him. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: “If the man called his wife to his needs, she should be for him, even if she is at the stove”. In another hadith says: “If the husband called his wife to bed, and she refused, the angels will curse her till the morning”. Therefore, it is not permissible for a woman to observe voluntary fasts without the permission of her husband, as it can disobey and violate his rights. The Prophet (S.A.W) said: “a woman can’t keep the fasts (Sunnah) in the presence of her husband without his authority /permission” (Bukhari).
- A woman should not leave her matrimonial house without her husband’s permission. A hadith says: The believer in Allah woman is not allowed to leave the house against the wishes of her husband”. and she does not have to deal with those women with whom her husband forbids chat. At the same time, the husband should not restrict the freedom of his wife for no apparent reason that is, if she wants to visit her parents, head to the mosque, or in places where there is no haram.
- The wife is to protect and preserve her husband’s property in his absence. She is not allowed to give something if she knows that her husband would be against it. Of course, it is permissible for her to feed the needy, a wife and a husband will get reward for it. It is also permitted to give any little if her husband would not be against it. It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) was asked: “Who is the best wife?” He replied, the one who pleases her husband when he looks at her, respect him when he tells something to her.
- Have to be content with anything that her husband brings and thank him for that. Never talk about what is missing. You can thus provoke him sometimes to get money in a forbidden way. You should take care and ask him to bring in only the funds earned through lawful means. Do not compare him with husbands of your friends or sisters. Remember, everyone has their defects and imperfections as well. If you’ll thank your husband for even minor gifts, then he will appreciate and do more often. The husband needs to feel importance in his family.
- The wife should honor and respct the parents and relatives of her husband. Honor them like the way you honor your parents. Be grateful for the fact that they raised your husband. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever does not respect the older and does not spare the younger ”.
- The wife should avoid views of strange men and hide her awrah. All the beauty of the woman belongs only to her husband. Also she is prohibited to undress outside the house of her husband.
- It is also forbidden for a woman to disclose the intimate side of her husband’s life.
A woman should engage in educating her children. She must be patient. Teach them the fundamentals of the religion. If a husband has children of former wife, they must be well-treated.
Those are the main duties of a woman towards her husband in Islam. The righteous wife should try to please in everything to her husband. Remember the mother of the faithful (Asiya RA). Even if your husband has a bad temper do sabr (patience). Despite the fact that her husband was cursed tyrant, she endured him. She did not irritate him when he was not in the mood. However, she observed the religion. No need to argue with your husband, or to reproach him. If the spouse is in a bad mood, do not bother him with interrogations. Men have a lot of responsibilities, they must be resistant to care about food for the family, so women should bear on all matters in their husband’s house and obey their husbands in all ways.
May Allah grant us understanding in our matrimonial houses (Ameen).