Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, but many people are unaware of this fact. What some people see or hear from the media, they believe it to be true. If you don’t take information in the media with some salt, chances are high, you will miss the truth. The best thing to do when not sure is to conduct your own research. There are all kinds of myths about Islam, which are far from the truth.
The best way of judging Islam is through the Holy Quran, which was revealed upon Prophet Mohammad (P.B.U.H). It is still present in the original form and has no other versions, unlike some of the other Holy Scriptures. After reading this sacred book, which Muslims believe to be the word of God, you will be able to bust numerous myths about Islam. Islam is not only a religion but clean way of living life.
- 10. The moon-god
- Some believe that Muslims pray to a moon-god or an idol, which is absolutely wrong. There is no such thing in Islam and idol worshiping is related to other religions such as Hinduism. What is decided according to the moon is Eid. Moon must be seen by a Muslim in order for Eid to take place.
- 9. Muhammad (P.B.U.H) wrote the Quran
- Another wrong perception about Islam is that the Quran was written by the final messenger of God, Muhammad (P.B.U.H). However, there is no such belief in the Muslims, as they have complete faith that their Holy Book is the word of Allah, which is Arabic for God. Quran was revealed to Allah’s final messenger Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) through the Angel of Allah, Gabriel.
- 8. Muslim Don’t belief in Jesus (P.B.U.H)
- Most of the people around the globe believe that Muslims don’t believe in Jesus Christ (P.B.U.H). However, this has got nothing to do with reality, as Quran tells the Muslims that Jesus was also a messenger of Allah, just like Muhammad (P.B.U.H).
- 7. Most Muslims are Arabs
- It is commonly believed that most of the Muslims are Arabs, which is also not correct. Arabs only make about 15 percent of the total Muslim population around the globe. Muslims come from many different countries and in all shapes and skins.
- 6. Islam and terrorism
- Whenever there is terrorist activity anywhere in the world, a Muslim is believed to be responsible for it – implying that the religion promotes extremism. However, the Quran clearly mentions that people who kill the innocent are not part of Islam. Also Islam means peace and that is what the religion is about.
- 5. Marriage
- Most people know that a Muslim man is allowed to have four wives at a time, but they are unaware of the conditions behind it. A person has to treat all of them equally otherwise he will be answerable to Allah on the day of judgement.
- 4. Jihad
The word ‘jihad’ does not mean that a person has to kill the non believers. However, it actually means to struggle hard and fight the problems in life.
- 3. Widows can’t marry
This is not true, In Islam, the widows are allowed to remarry as per their own choice and no one can force them.
- 2. Women rights
- Islam gives equal rights to both men and women, so the perception that women in Islam are oppressed is completely incorrect.
- 1. Taliban represent Islam
- The biggest misconception about Islam and Muslims is related to extremist groups like Taliban, who have nothing to do with religion. They are not a part of Islam, as they don’t follow the teachings of Quran.