Ramadan, the best month of the year is the month when the Holy Qur’an was revealed to the world through the Holy Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu ‘Alayhi wa Salam). Ramadan is the ninth month on the Islamic calendar in which Muslims from all parts of the world unite in a period of fasting and spiritual reflections.
Every year, Muslims spend this month observing a community-wide fast. It is considered one of the five pillars of Islam, meaning it is very important and obligatory for every Muslim to take part in this month except if they are sick, too old or too young to fast.
However, having blessings and committing sins in this holy month is very easy. One simple deed can earn one immense rewards while a simple careless act may void your long day fast just like that.
Some people think that praying the five daily prayers and fasting the day is the only act of worship during Ramadan. However, it goes far beyond that. Fasting in the month of Ramadan requires giving your heart and soul to the Almighty Allah. It also involves focusing on the teachings of the Qur’an in the month that Allah gave Muslims the chance to rescue themselves from the hell fire.
Advice to Muslims
As mentioned, the month of Ramadan is one of the most important on the Islamic calendar. Here are few pointers that will help you maximize the benefits of the month:
- Fast Ramadan, and do a lot of good with belief and hoping for reward from Allah alone. The Muslim should fast with full belief that it is an injunction from his lord to fast, and having hope on getting reward from Allah and no one else.
- As a Muslim, always beware of unnecessary things that could break your fast. Always have it in mind that abandoning the fast for a day with no valid reason can only be repaid with sixty days of consecutive fasting .
- Pray Salat ut-Tarawih (the congregational night prayers) throughout Ramadan, including Layatul Qadr based on true belief while asking Allah for forgiveness for one’s shortcomings.
- In order for your fast and prayers to be accepted, your food, drinks and the clothes you wear should be halal (pure). Doing bad things when fasting, will lead to a waste of your long day fast. If you can, always give food to the poor and gain reward similar to their fasting.
- For Muslim men, always perform your five daily prayers on time in congregation to gain the maximum reward for your worship. Also preserve your tongue from lying and bad things about others behind their back as it decreases the reward of fasting.
- And lastly, invoke a lot of Salawat and Salam upon the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu ‘Alayhi wa Salam), May Allah’s blessing and peace be upon him, his Companions and all those who follow them until the Day of Judgment.