Root of the Matter-Understanding the Israeli-Palestine Conflict-Part 2

In 1967, the second Arab- Israeli war broke out, in which the Arab nations were severely beaten yet again by the newly established Jewish state. This war is also remembered as the ‘six-day war’ because it lasted for 6 days as the name implies.

Israel took control of the Golan Heights from Syria during that war. Moreover, Israel seized more Palestinian Territory to the dismay of the Arab nations.

A peace treaty was later signed between Egypt and Israel. In that 1969 peace treaty, the Egyptian leader, Gamal Abdel Nasser vowed that his country will never partake in any confrontation against Israel and the Israeli military-this in exchange for the withdrawal of Israeli troops from the Sinai Peninsula region which the Jewish state had occupied during the six day war. This saw the end of Egypt as a threat to the state of Israel.

In 1973, some Arab countries yet again engaged in another war against Israel and this time around too, they lost. The then King of Jordan endorsed a peace treaty with Israel swearing to keep away from the Israel-Palestine conflict. Once again, the Israelis seized more Palestinian land after the war.

Palestine 1

Subsequently there have been numerous internal clashes such as the First Intifada (violence breakout) of the late 1980’s. On a Global scale, peace between Israel and Palestine was hugely supported leading to the Oslo Accord of 1993. The accord was a peace agreement signed between the then Israel Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and the Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), Yasir Arafat mediated by then US President Bill Clinton.

However, conflict continued to prevail between the two sides after the Oslo accord with each side blaming the other for aggression. This resulted to the second Intifada that began in the year 2000 culminating to an immense lost of lives in both sides. Israel used the second Intifada as a pretext to construct a wall on the border between it and the West Bank.

The Chairman of the PLO, Yasir Arafat, is widely believed to have been murdered by Israeli state agents through poisoning in 2004. Even though some tension began as a result of the death of the Palestinian strongman, both parties pursued attempts to find lasting peace.

Today only 10 per cent of land remains from what was previously land owned by the Palestinians as of 1947. The remaining 90 per cent is still under Israeli control to this day, despite global outcry.

In 2014, Israel engaged in a bombardment of the Gaza strip claiming that 3 of its soldiers were killed by insurgents from the strip. Many schools, homes and hospitals were demolished by Israeli bombings during the Jewish state’s aggression and as a result an estimated 5000 people were killed. More than 50% of the victims were found to be women and children.

Palestine 3

The global community condemned the actions of the Israelis, some describing them as war crimes and crimes against humanity. However, no sanctions were meted out on Israel due to the solid backing it enjoys from the United States. Critics suggest that this is due the strong economic and political ties between the two countries. Israel sources 90 per cent of its importation from the United States which is also the sole arms dealer to the “self-proclaimed” Jewish state.

The End

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *