Marital conflict has the ability to destroy a couple’s relationships and can get them into a heartbreaking divorce. In marriages, conflicts are inevitable, but people should avoid conflicts to the best of their abilities. No couples should allow themselves to be the pawns of their emotions.
Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said:
“I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is right…”
Muslim couples should understand their duties and responsibilities towards each other.
Below are some tips to avoid marital conflict:
- You should avoid pointing fingers when talking to your partner. Pointing a finger starts conflicts
- Spouses should sit and discuss matters that they find displeasing. If you find yourselves arguing then you should politely ask your spouse to sit so you can calmly iron out your differences
- Avoid picking at each other for little things. Nagging at what your partner does, is not helpful at all
- You should learn to appreciate each other. Couples should be thankful and grateful for the wonderful traits of their spouses and not focus on negativity. Also saying sorry to a person can make a difference, even when it is not your fault.
- No one is perfect; you should sometimes let your spouse make mistakes, and if he/she constantly repeats the same mistake, politely try to rectify the person.
- Try and spend quality time with each other, have fun and go out together sometimes as a family.
- Always listen to each other and share your problems. When your partner comes to you with a problem, listen to what he/she has to say and respond politely and help solve the problem as a team. Make your spouse’s problem yours
- Avoid snooping in each other’s past life, because this may bring up past issues that may not be relevant to your present lives
- Forgive and forget and move on like nothing happened. This may seem hard but letting go is sometimes the best solution
- Avoid spending a lot of time alone, it is important to spend quality time with the family
- Avoid people that may try to control your marriage. These are people that may destroy your marriage. It is okay to get advice from other people about your marriage, but you should stay clear from the ones who might say bad things about your spouse
- When you are arguing about something, do not drag other people like your best friend in your marital disagreements
- Avoid being jealous all the time and don’t jump into conclusions
- Always be honest with each other
May Allah make all our affairs easy.