Zikr means “mentioning”, it is the devotional act in Islam in which one repeatedly recites short phrases or prayers silently within his mind or aloud. The person that recites Zikr is called a dakir, whereas Tasbeeh is a form of Zikr that has to do with repeatedly uttering short sentences in the glorification and praise of Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’alla). Both are forms of worship and must be done with utmost concentration.
Here are some of the Zikr and Tasbeeh one can mention to gain great rewards from, especially in the blessed month of Ramadan:
- Subhan’Allah adheem wabi Hamdihi– a palm tree is planted in Paradise for the one who recites this.
- Subhan’Allah wabi Hamdihi-, one who says this a hundred times during the day, will have his sins wiped away, even if they are like the foam of the sea.
- Subhan’Allah– one who recites this a hundred times, a thousand bad deeds are wiped off, and a thousand good deeds are recorded for him.
- LaHawla wala Quwwata illa–Billah– this is a treasure from the treasures of Paradise.
- Subhan’Allah, walhamdoulillah, wa la illaha ilallahu, wallahu Akbar– these are mentioned as the four most beloved words to Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’alla).
- Subhan’Allah, walhamdoulilah, wa la illaha illallahu, wallahu Akbar, wa la Hawla wala Quwwata illa Billah– these are the good deeds which endure (Al-baqiyaatus-Salihaat).
- Alhamdoulillah– this is the best supplication
- La illaha ila’Allah– it was reported by Abu Huraira(may Allah ‘Subhanahu wa Ta’alla be pleased with him) that the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said; “When a servant of Allah ‘utters the words ‘la ilaha ila’Allah’ sincerely, the doors of paradise open up for these words until they reach the Throne of Allah, so long as the one that utters it keeps away from major sins.”
- La illaha ila’Allah, wahdahu la shareeka lahu, lahul mulku, wa lahul hamd, wa huwa alla kulli shaiy’in qadir– whoever says this ten times, will have the reward of freeing 4 slaves from the children of Isma’il.
- Astaghfirullah al adheemal-ladhi la illaha illa huwal-hayyul-qayyum wa atubu ilaih– whoever says this, Allah (SwT)will forgive him even if he deserted the army’s ranks.
May Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’alla) answer our prayers in the blessed month of Ramadan and forgive all our sins.